The following policy applies to all UNMC students except College of Medicine students*.
- Calendar Day
- Each day shown on the calendar beginning at 12:00 Midnight, including Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
- Cancel registration in a course during the specified drop/add period in the academic calendar.
- Dropped courses do not appear on a transcript.
- Non-Standard or Session Course
- Any course that does not follow the standard term/semester.
- A part of the term that does not span an entire term/semester.
- Standard Full Semester Course
- Any course that is active an entire term/semester.
- Fall, spring, and summer weeks when classes are in session.
- The fall and spring semesters are approximately 15 weeks long.
- The summer semester may vary by program.
- Variable Credit Course
- A course with the option to take zero or more credits, depending on the workload a student is completing for the course.
In general, students may add courses within the following time periods:
- Standard full semester course: During the first seven calendar days of the term
- Non-standard or session course: During the first three calendar days of the session
In extenuating circumstances, these time periods may be extended at the discretion of the instructor and program director with approval from academic affairs leadership within the college.
The Add Course Fee will not apply during the seven-day add/drop period.
Students may drop courses and not them have appear on their transcript during the following periods:
- Standard full semester course: Students may drop a standard full semester course during the first seven calendar days of the term with a full refund of tuition. Students who pay flat rate tuition may be eligible for a refund, please check with your program administrator for details.
- Non-standard or session course: Students may drop session courses during the first three calendar days of the session.
Students who drop after the drop period may receive a refund as specified in the Tuition Refund Schedule. Students will receive a grade of W on their transcript. Any late changes may incur an add/drop fee as outlined in the Course Fee Schedule.
Variable Credit Changes
Students can change the number of credits on a variable credit course during the first seven calendar days of a semester-long course only.
Students can change the number of credits on a variable credit course for a non-standard or session course at the discretion of the instructor and program director, but generally not after the first three calendar days of the course.
Add Course or registration fees will apply.
*Students at the College of Medicine are not included in this policy and should refer to the College of Medicine catalog for registration policies and procedures.
Effective Date: 7/11/2013
Revised Date: 1/16/2023
Policy Process Applied: Standard
Policy Review Cycle: Three Years
Responsible University Administrator(s): Dr. Philip Covington, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success
Responsible University Office(s): Office of Academic Records
Policy Contact: Brooke Huntsmann, UNMC Registrar