This policy applies to all UNMC students.
In certain circumstances, students may be dropped or withdrawn from courses or a program retroactively with refund of tuition and fees for the following reasons:
- Error by UNMC faculty or staff,
- Reasonable response to extenuating student circumstances, and/or
- Withdrawal is in the best interest of UNMC.
If a student is seeking a retroactive withdrawal from classes or a program for a specific term, the student cannot request the withdrawal after that term has ended.
- With approval of the dean or their designee, an appropriate college/program administrator will complete a change of status form.
- A student who will be retroactively withdrawn from one or more courses should contact the Office of Financial Aid, the Office of Student Accounts, and Student Health to understand the impact on their financial aid package, student bill, and their student health insurance policy. Any college or program administrator completing the change of status form should recommend that a student meet with these offices prior to submission of the change of status form.
- Tuition and fees will be assessed based on the effective date of the drop or withdrawal.
- The student's transcript will reflect the grading rules applying to a withdrawal as of the effective date of the drop or withdrawal.
Effective Date: October 24, 2023
Revised Date: October 24, 2023
Policy Process Applied: Standard
Policy Review Cycle: Three Years
Responsible University Administrator(s): Dr. Philip Covington, Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Success
Responsible University Office(s): Office of Academic Records
Policy Contact: Brooke Huntsmann, UNMC Registrar