The purpose of this policy is to assure that the obligations to the University of Nebraska and requirements for enrollment are met. The policy covers obligations to UNMC as well as other campuses in the NU system.
To assure that obligations to the University of Nebraska Medical Center are met, the Division of Student Success will encumber student records and deny registration and official transcript privileges to students, previous students, and graduates who have outstanding obligations to UNMC or other campuses in the NU system. Students can review any holds and impact to services through MyRecords at any time. The placement and release of an encumbrance (Service Indicator/Hold) on a student, previous student or graduate will be the responsibility of the office/unit to which the obligation is outstanding. Upon placement of a Service Indicator/Hold, the individual may be denied transcripts and registration for subsequent terms, diplomas, and other services. The student may be disenrolled from current courses in the case of failure to pay tuition and fees (See Delinquent Tuition/Fees Policy).
UNMC will honor Service Indicator/Holds placed by other campuses in the NU system for financial matters. UNMC students will be required to work with the campus placing the Service Indicator/Hold. UNMC staff are not authorized to remove Service Indicators/Holds placed by another campus but may assist with communication to the other campus in order to help students resolve outstanding issues.
A “discharge by bankruptcy” does not automatically clear eligibility for some university services and release of transcripts.
Procedures for Students:
- Service Indicators/Holds generally will be placed by the office/unit impacted by the service.
- Service Indicators/Holds will be removed by staff in the office/unit placing the hold.
- Staff in Student Success can assist with identifying the correct contact at another campus in case of a non-UNMC hold.
- Students can refer to their MyRecords page to view information related to all Service Indicators/Holds placed on their account.
Procedures for Staff:
- Staff may request security access to place and remove service indicators in MyRecords by contacting the appropriate office/unit.
- Staff in other offices/units may request security access to place and remove service indicators in MyRecords by contacting the Division of Student Success.
- The UNMC Registrar has full security access for placement or release of a Service Indicator/Hold in the case of an emergency.
Service Indicator/Hold Appeal Process
A student who has had a Service Indicator/Hold placed on the student’s record must contact the office/unit placing the Service Indicator/Hold in writing or via email to resolve any perceived discrepancies.
|Policy Process Applied:||Interim|
|Responsible Officer:||UNMC Registrar|
|Date Approved by Responsible Officer:||1/12/2022|
|Date Approved by Education Council Policy Committee:||2/21/2022|
|Date Approved by Education Council:||3/17/2022|
|Date Approved by Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs:||5/23/2022|
|Policy Expiration Date:||5/23/2023|
|Review Cycle:||One-year Interim|