AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT AND SECTION 504 GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
The University of Nebraska Medical Center (“UNMC”) has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Sections 503 or 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 794) or Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 12132). Section 202 states, in part, that “no individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such entity.”
Complaints from students should be addressed to Dr. Phil Covington, who has been designated to investigate complaints under the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act:
Dr. Phil Covington
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success, Interim ADA/504 Coordinator for Students
Division of Student Success
984250 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4250
1. A complaint should be filed in writing, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged exclusion from participation in or denial of benefits of the services, programs, or activities of UNMC or discrimination by UNMC. Complaints may also be made verbally to the ADA/504 Compliance Officer.
2. A complaint should be filed within 30 calendar days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged circumstances. (Later complaints may be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
3. An investigation will follow a filing of complaint. The investigation will be conducted by the ADA/504 Coordinator or their designee. Investigations will be informal but thorough and appropriate for the circumstances, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint.
4. A written summary of the complaint results of the investigation and a description of any proposed resolution, will be issued by the ADA/504 Coordinator or their designee and a copy forwarded to the complainant, the appropriate campus authority, and the Chancellor no later than 30 calendar days after its filing.
5. The ADA/504 Coordinator’s Office will maintain all files and records relating to any filed complaint and resulting investigation.
6. A complainant may request a reconsideration of the case when dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for consideration must be made within 10 working days to the Chief Compliance Officer (System-wide ADA/504 Coordinator), 222 Varner Hall, 0742, V/TDD, 402-472-8404.
7. This grievance procedure will be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons, meet appropriate due process standards and assure that the University of Nebraska Medical Center complies with Section 504, and the ADA and their implementing regulations.
Revised November 2019