Print Options

Jacque Knedler, Director
Phone: 402-559-7276

Determination and Provision of Reasonable Accommodations 

Accommodations, modifications, or adjustments to a course, academic program, service, or activity may enable a qualified student with a disability to have an equal opportunity to attain the same level of performance or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges as are available to similarly situated individuals without a disability. 

The University of Nebraska Medical Center is obligated to provide reasonable accommodations, adjustments, and/ or auxiliary services only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified student with a disability. It is the responsibility of the student with a disability to inform the Accessibility Services Center (ASC) that an accommodation or change in accommodation is needed and to participate in the interactive process to formulate a reasonable accommodation plan. When a qualified student with a disability requests accommodation, reasonable efforts to provide the accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary service that is deemed effective will be made. 

Evaluation of performance, including admissions decisions, course examinations and other measures of achievement, will be provided with appropriate reasonable accommodations or modifications to ensure that the evaluation represents achievement rather than reflecting the impact of disability. 

Documentation of Disability 

To be eligible for disability-related services, students must have a documented or visible impairment as defined by the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. The ADA regulations broadly define impairments to include a wide variety of disorders or conditions affecting any number of body systems, including the neurological or musculoskeletal systems, special sense organs, respiratory, cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genitor-urinary, hemic, lymphatic, or endocrine systems, or the skins. Impairments also include mental or psychological disorders, including intellectual disability, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and certain learning disorders. 

The University of Nebraska’s Medical Center Student Individual Accommodation Procedure relies on documentation from appropriate, licensed professionals including educational information such as Individual Education Plan (IEP), 504 plan, Summary of Progress (SOP) or other information about a student’s education and accommodation history and interview information from the student. Documentation received from the treating provider must include a statement of diagnosis, functional limitations, and recommendation of accommodations. The cost of obtaining documentation will be borne by the student. If the initial documentation is incomplete or inadequate and the student interview does not provide the relevant information, the services for students with disabilities office will have the discretion to request additional information focused on providing the clarification needed to provide the student reasonable accommodation. 

Accommodations Process 

ASC offers accessibility related services to students who have a documented medical condition or disability in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendment Act of 2008. Each accommodation request initiates the interactive process that provides a 1:1 approach with the student and ASC staff to find what accommodations and services best meet a student's needs. 

Students are responsible for initiating the accommodation request process. 

  1. Register with ASC by completing and submitting the Self-Identification Form
  2. Submit documentation related to the diagnosis via email at or by fax at 402-559-9671. (Please find more information needed for documentation under the heading, Documentation of Disability)
  3. Schedule an intake meeting with an ASC staff member to determine reasonable accommodations. 
  4. If deemed reasonable by the ASC and approved, the student is responsible for meeting with necessary faculty to discuss accommodation plans each semester. 
  5. Each semester upon approval, check in with the ASC regarding accommodation concerns and implementation.  

The Accessibility Services Center is a unit within the Division of Student Success.