The University's Heritage
Founded in 1869, the University of Nebraska is one of the major institutions of public higher education in mid-America. On its Kearney, Lincoln, Omaha, and Scottsbluff campuses, it serves approximately 50,000 students.
The University’s classes began September 7, 1871, in the original building, University Hall, which was located on the edge of the then new Nebraska capital village of Lincoln. Despite deep economic difficulties and disputes over policy, the University survived its early years and by 1886 had inaugurated the first program in graduate education west of the Mississippi.
The Present Organization
The University of Nebraska is composed of four major administrative units: The University of Nebraska‒Lincoln (UNL), the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO), and the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC). Each of the major administrative units is led by a chancellor who reports to the University President. Each is ultimately governed by a 12-member Board of Regents which insures that the University meets its goal of quality instruction, research, and public service for the citizens of the state.
The College of Dentistry actively seeks to fulfill the goals of the University through its diversified degree (baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral) and certificate programs. As one of the 11 major units of UNMC, it shares the patient care, research, and community service missions of the Medical Center.
University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK)
Formerly Kearney State College, an institution founded in 1903, The University of Nebraska at Kearney came under direction of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents in 1991.
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is located on a campus of more than 235-acres at 905 West 25th Street and serves over 10,000 students.
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is composed of four Colleges: Business and Technology, Education, Fine Arts and Humanities, and Natural and Social Sciences.
University of Nebraska at Lincoln (UNL)
There are two campuses in Lincoln; one, the downtown or city campus, 195-acres, developed on the original site; the second, the East Campus, 332-acres, about three miles away, developed on the location of the College of Agriculture. There are about 25,000 students enrolled at UNL, and it is from these campuses that the University’s outstate activities, including the Experiment Stations and Extension, are directed.
Several of the nine Colleges on the city campus include Architecture, Journalism, Business Administration, Engineering, Journalism, and Fine and Performing Arts. The College of Nursing, Lincoln division, is also located on the city campus. Biological Sciences, Chemistry, and Mathematics are several of the departments housed in the College of Arts and Sciences. Some of the departments in the College of Education and Human Sciences (located on both city and east campuses), include Educational Psychology, Teaching, Nutrition and Health Sciences, Family Studies, and Textiles and Fashion Merchandising.
On the east campus are UNL’s College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, College of Law, and the UNMC College of Dentistry. The Barkley Speech-Language and Hearing Clinic and the Nebraska Center for Virology are also located on east campus.
University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO)
Formerly the Municipal University of Omaha, an institution founded in 1908, The University of Nebraska at Omaha came under direction of the University of Nebraska Board of Regents in 1968.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is located on a campus of more than 70-acres at 60th and Dodge Streets and serves nearly 14,000 students.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is composed of six Colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Information Science and Technology, Public Affairs and Community Service, and Communication, Fine Arts and Media; graduate studies and research opportunities are offered.
University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
The University of Nebraska Medical Center, located on more than 25-acres in central Omaha, is the hub of a complex and diversified medical community. The Center includes the Colleges of Medicine, Allied Health Professions, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Graduate Studies. Although the College of Dentistry is on the East Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, it is administratively part of the Medical Center.
The College of Nursing, also part of UNMC, has five divisions, utilizing facilities on the main campus at Omaha, UNL, UNK, Norfolk, and at the West Nebraska Medical Center in Scottsbluff. Enrollment at the Medical Center totals about 2,400 annually.
Other facilities utilized for teaching and research located on the Medical Center Campus include: the Eugene C. Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, the Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics and Rehabilitation, University Geriatric Center/Psychiatric Services, the UNMC Physicians and the UNMC/NHS Hospital, and the Fred and Pamela Buffet Cancer Center. In October, 1997, UNMC and Clarkson Regional Health Services merged their hospitals to create Nebraska Health System which continues to operate both hospitals and is now called The Nebraska Medical Center.