I. Statement of Principle
UNMC recognizes the importance of supporting new mothers who wish to continue to breastfeed while they are attending school. UNMC acknowledges the health benefits of breastfeeding and believes that UNMC should make private, accessible and comfortable lactation rooms available to its students who want to express milk while on campus and away from their infant.
II. Title IX
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex—including pregnancy and parental status—in educational programs and activities.
The Department of Education encourages educational institutions to designate a private room for mothers to breastfeed, pump milk, or address other needs related to breastfeeding during the school day.
III. Available Facilities
Omaha Campus: UNMC and Nebraska Medicine join together in providing facilities and assistance for nursing mothers. Certified lactation consultants can be contacted through Nebraska Medicine at 402.559.6363. Mothers Room List.
- College of Dentistry, Lincoln - room # 1414 (in the student lounge).
- College of Nursing, Lincoln - rooms: UHCN 326 & UHCN 328.
- College of Nursing, Scottsbluff – options, as schedule allows, rooms: Harms B128, Harms A113 or Harms B116.
- College of Nursing & College of Allied Health, Kearney - room HSE 221
- College of Nursing, Norfolk - room: J. Paul & Eleanor McIntosh College of Nursing Building Room 281
IV. Time Away from Classes
Faculty should attempt to be flexible and provide reasonable time to support the needs of nursing mothers.
Please contact Tittle IX Office at 402.559.2710 with any questions regarding lactation facilities and/or providing reasonable time to support the needs of nursing mothers.