All applicants to the dual degree programs must apply and be accepted into each program separately. Applicants are evaluated by each degree program in separate admissions processes. The College of Public Health application requirements include the following:
Program Requirements for Admission:
- Completion of the and submission of the application fee.SOPHAS Express Public Health application
- Official transcripts with a 3.2 or higher grade point average for a minimum of 45 undergraduate hours completed at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). Transcripts must demonstrate completion of BIOL 2140 and BIOL 3340 and sophomore or junior standing at UNO.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references (minimum of one letter must be an academic reference).
- A resume or CV.
- One page personal statement describing the applicant’s:
- Interest in career in public health, environmental health and/or occupational health.
- Academic readiness to pursue graduate level education.
*Concentration in Environmental and Occupational Health
Program of Study
Curriculum standards for the program will be established by the faculty in the respective UNO and UNMC programs. The MPH is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health. The dual degree is a 150 credit hour undergraduate/professional option that allows eligible students to work toward the EOH concentration in the MPH program while completing their undergraduate degree. Students interested in this option will work closely with their advisor to develop an integrated plan of study.
Plan of Study
In consultation with their advisor, students will be required to prepare a plan of study. Students will be assigned an advisor from UNO Department of Biology and from UNMC COPH. The plan will cover the entire undergraduate and professional program and will be periodically reviewed with the student's advisors. A maximum of 15 MPH credits (of the required 45 graduate credits for the MPH degree) will be counted toward the undergraduate degree.