|UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER
COLLEGE OF NURSING
|Undergraduate Honors Admission to the BSN Program Requirements Policy||Subsection: 5.2.11|
|Section 5.0 - Student Policies||Originating Date: May 2010|
|Responsible Reviewing Agency:
Undergraduate Admission, Progression, Graduation and Scholarship/Grant Committee
|Revised: November 2010
Revised: December 2011
Reviewed: October 2012
Faculty of the College of Nursing develop admission criteria to be used in screening selected applicants for the Honors Admission to the traditional BSN degree.
Students may be accepted while in high school if they meet the following criteria by the end of their senior year. Students at the end of their junior year may be accepted with provisional requirements for their senior year. The numbers in parentheses are for juniors.
- To receive an honors admission to the nursing program, in addition to all regular admission criteria, a student must meet the following:
High School Student:
- Eligibility requirements:
- Minimum score of 28 on ACT or 1270 on SAT
- Cumulative GPA: 3.8 or greater
- English: 4 years (3)
- Math: 3 years (2) including one algebra course
- Natural Sciences: 3 years (2) including one chemistry and one biology course
- Social Studies: 3 years (2)
- Foreign Language: 2 years (1) must be same language for both years
- Provisional requirements:
- Maintenance of a 3.8 cumulative GPA in college
- No repeat courses
- No pass/fail courses in the sciences (except for laboratory components) and a maximum of 12 hours of pass/fail courses in other courses
- A grade below a C will not be accepted
- Must be full-time (at least 12 credits/semester) and follow the advised curriculum
- Must meet with a UNMC CON Student Services Coordinator once per semester prior to admission
- Eligibility requirements and provisional requirements:
- Same as above except ACT not required.
- Must have been a full-time student and have maintained a GPA of 3.8.
- Must stay on a trajectory as advised by Student Services Coordinator.
Second Degree Students:
- ACT not required and student does not need to be full-time but must stay on a trajectory as advised by Student Services Coordinator.
- Graduated with a 3.8 cumulative GPA or higher in undergraduate or graduate program.
- Maintenance of 3.8 cumulative GPA in any pre-requisites or nursing support courses needed.
A maximum of 20% of the incoming cohort by campus may be awarded Honors Admission. Excluded from this 20% are NU-PATH, RHOP, KHOP & ROTC.