Students who are a graduate of an accredited Nebraska senior high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Nebraska will be considered a Nebraska resident for tuition purposes. In addition, an individual who has been properly enrolled at the University or one of the Nebraska state colleges as a resident student, shall be afforded that privilege during the balance of that and any subsequent enrollments at the University, provided the student is readmitted within a two-year time period. Individuals moving to Nebraska must demonstrate that they have established homes in Nebraska for at least one year prior to the time they enroll at the University of Nebraska. Individuals who move to Nebraska primarily to enroll at the University of Nebraska shall be considered a non-resident for tuition purposes for the duration of his or her attendance at the University.
All students who are not graduates of an accredited Nebraska high school and who do not meet the exemption requirements below will automatically be classified as non-residents. Students who qualify for any of the residency categories included in the Application for Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes https://www.unmc.edu/studentservices/academic-records/Residency-Application-Revised-2016-08-15.pdf may apply for a change of status for tuition purposes.
Applications for Residency must be filed before the end of the sixth day of the term for which the tuition fee was charged. Students who are denied Nebraska residency classification may appeal this decision by writing to:
Vice Chancellor for Student Success, Philip D. Covington, Ed.D.,
University of Nebraska Medical Center
984250 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, Nebraska 68198-4250
Students who have applied for permanent residency (federal) or students who meet all of the requirements below:
- who have resided with his or her parent, guardian, or conservator while attending a public or private high school in Nebraska and
- graduated from a public or private high school in Nebraska or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Nebraska and
- resided in this state at least three years before the date he/she graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma and
- registered as an entering student in a state post secondary educational institution not earlier than the 2006 fall semester and
- provides an affidavit stating that he or she will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity he or she is eligible to do so
shall be deemed to have established residence in Nebraska for the purposes of tuition at UNMC.
Students who have been classified appropriately as residents for tuition purposes by another campus in the university or state college system will be considered residents for tuition purposes at UNMC.
Students not currently classified as residents for tuition purposes and who wish to be considered as a resident for purposes of tuition calculation at UNMC will submit to the Registrar the Application for Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes.
Registrar will change the student’s residency status to resident once he/she has received a copy of the appropriate documentation.
Reference: LB 239 and RP- 5.7.1