The purpose of this policy is to document the procedure for updating student Social Security Numbers (SSNs) in the student information system.
Basis of Policy
An individual’s SSN is one of the most critical data items used to establish an identity. As such, the data must be accurately recorded.
Students are able, but not required, to provide their SSN upon application to UNMC. Once accepted to UNMC, a student’s SSN may be required for certain purposes, such as financial aid, generation of 1098Ts and submission of enrollment to the National Clearinghouse.
Prior to acceptance at UNMC, a student’s SSN may be obtained from program application documents. After acceptance to UNMC, a student SSN may be added or updated by the Office of Academic Records following:
- Receipt of an email from the student via their UNMC email account,
- Receipt of information from SAP or payroll records for students who are also employees,
- Receipt of information from federally verified FASFA data obtained from Financial Aid staff.
Staff in the Office of Academic Records will be the only individuals with security to add or update SSNs in the student information system.
Staff in the Office of Academic Records will be responsible for reminding US Citizens who do not have an SSN in the student information system of the need to provide this information.
- Students may update their SSN by
- Updating the data in their application file prior to acceptance into a program.
- Emailing their SSN to the Office of the UNMC Registrar using their UNMC email account.
- Staff in the Office of Academic Records will add a new SSN or edit an existing SSN upon receipt of email authorization, upon receipt of documentation from UNMC payroll records or from information contained on a student FASFA.
- The PeopleSoft Security Officer will grant access to add and update the SSN to staff identified by the Registrar.
- Staff in the Office of Academic Records will send a weekly reminder via automated Comm Gen to all enrolled US Citizens who do not have an SSN in the student information.
|Responsible Reviewers:||UNMC Registrar|
|UNMC Security Officer|
|Date Reviewed by|
University General Counsel:
|Approved by:||Education Council|
|Reviewed:||Every five years|